During this past week at Radford University in Virginia, Communication Week took place. The Coms department had several key individuals, in various communication fields, to share their experiences and insight the to RU students. These wonderful people took time out of their busy lives to help us out. I have to say it was awesome to see so many fellow communication students out this week to hear everyone speak!
Of all the wonderful guest speakers I was able to attended these three:
Joanne Rae – Demonstrated how to be a professional in the workplace and during interviews
- She gave tips on what to and what not to wear
- What is appropriate during an interview.
- You have 7 seconds to impress – Go!
Abby Grace – Discussed the importance of promoting yourself and small or large businesses through social media.
- She was able to build her business from social media.
- Tips on how to keep yourself current and professional in the world of social media
- “Social media is completely unstoppable.”
Shelly Whitaker – Talked about how to improve and create a professional Resume.
- Tips and tricks on building your resume
- What an employer might look for – specifically
I really enjoyed what these powerful women had to say! The speeches were insightful and makes me want to get my professional life in order. It is always nice to learn how to dress professionally and gather tips to improve my resume but Abby Grace was my favorite. This amazing person was able to keep my attention and move me through her personal experiences. Her story is very similar to my story in some ways and just moves me.
It gives me hope for my future endeavors.